After I came back from class today I thought it would be fun to try out a new recipe. Logan seemed excited about some bacon muffins he saw online a few days ago so I thought I’d take a crack at my own version of a savory muffin. Because the butter and eggs are whipped before mixing in the dry ingredients, these muffins are light and fluffy and they fall apart in your mouth with the slightest hint of curry flavor.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon organic cane sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach – thawed, drained and squeezed dry
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, prepare 12 muffin cups.
- Mix cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and curry powder.
- With a whisk whip the butter by hand until fluffy (about 2 minutes), then add the egg, sea salt, and sugar and whip four another 3 minutes until you have a fluffy yellow cloud.
- Mix whipped mixture into dry mixture and then add cheese, buttermilk, and spinach.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of batter into each muffin cup and bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick tester comes out clean.
If anyone tries this, tweet at me how it turns out. Happy baking!